Sunday, November 20, 2011

Too much learned in one day

Today was Branch Conference.  They call it a mini-conference, but I don't know why.  The Stake Presidency taught a combined Priesthood and Relief Society, Sunday School, and were the speakers in Sacrament Meeting.

It was a spiritual feast.  In the sense that there were a ton of dishes, and I ate way too much.  Too much?  I just know that I'm not going to remember it all.  There were lessons and new insights for me on temples, patriarchal blessings, agency, the Atonement, and many others that I can't quite encapsulate or have already slipped my mind.  A counselor in the presidency spoke about Ammon, King Lamoni, and his (Lamoni's) father.  I am just in the middle of that story in my personal reading, so I'll post about that as I read tonight and tomorrow, passing off the insights as my own. :)

Here's the lesson that I think I'd have little cause to write about any time soon.  Jesus was crucified between two thieves.  They both spoke to him while they all hung waiting to die.  This provides us with three examples of how to approach life and God.  From Luke 23:39-43
And one of the malefactors which were hanged arailed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.  But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation? And we indeed justly; for we receive the due areward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.  And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.  And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.
We can be like the first, who "railed" the Lord, asking Him to use His power for our own sake (save...us).  We can be like the second, confessing our sins and begging the Lord's forgiveness and remembrance, or like the third, the Savior, striving to do all we can for the sake of serving our Father in Heaven and bringing to pass His will.

We should strive to be like the third, mostly winding up like the second, and in the end, living with the Father because of the Grace of His Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment