Friday, November 25, 2011

Content

Yesterday was my first Thanksgiving as a single man in 13 years.  I've heard that holidays, especially the first ones, can be hard--bring up memories and all that.  It's true.

The day was fantastic.  I spent it with family that I don't see often enough, some of whom had flown in from out of state.  The food was fantastic, including some that I made.  But that night at home rather than being grateful for what I did have, I found myself pining for what I didn't.  I missed my former life and Thanksgiving traditions.  I missed the people.  I felt badly about that, because I enjoyed the day, and loved spending it with my siblings that deserve my gratitude.

Then today I read Alma 29, wherein Alma pines for things he can't do and can't have.  He wants to be a missionary to everyone.  Verse three caught me today.  "I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me."

Oh, that I were a husband, and could have eternal covenants still in effect.  Oh, that I were a father, and could have the joy and rejoicing in my posterity that comes from playing catch with a son.  And oh, for my old home and kitchen, and kitchen tools, that I could have space to share with those that once were my family.

I haven't those things today.  But it would be a sin if I dwelt on some things I temporarily lack instead of being happy and content with the tremendous blessings I have.  Those include the family mentioned above, friends and those that are technically no longer family that I love.  A sister who visits and shares tender moments on struggles we have in common.  A Savior whose love has the power to heal any wound.

And for those blessings and many more, I feel content.

No comments:

Post a Comment