Saturday, November 19, 2011

Thoughts on Ammon: A portion of the Spirit

I haven't written for a while.  I was sick last week.  If you're in the mood for something less reverent, you can read about that here.

Ammon is a favorite story of boys from the Book of Mormon.  Cutting off arms?  That's awesome.  My brother taught primary while he worked at Sears, and when he did Sharing Time on Ammon, he brought in mannequin arms from the store and had his class carry them in in a blanket.  I wasn't there, but I heard that some of the other primary teachers actually screamed.  All the boys thought it was awesome.



Reading tonight, I was struck by different parts.

"A portion of [the] Spirit" is how Ammon's and his brothers' power are described in Alma 17 and 18.  Here's how Ammon explains how he was able to defeat the enemies of the King and save his flocks:
"I am a man; and man in the beginning was created after the image of God, and I am called by his Holy Spirit to teach these things unto this people, that they may be brought to a knowledge of that which is just and true; And a portion of that Spirit dwelleth in me, which giveth me knowledge, and also power according to my faith and desires which are in God (18:34-35)."
The Spirit, or a portion of it, will provide the knowledge and power needed fulfill the designs and plans that God has for each of us.  We're asked to do nothing but what He will provide a way to accomplish (1 Ne. 3:7). Ammon and his brothers also teach us how to obtain that portion of the Spirit.  "They fasted much and prayed much that the Lord would grant unto them a portion of his Spirit to go with them, and abide with them, that they might be an binstrument in the hands of God (17:9)."

How can we have the Spirit with us to be as successful in missionary work or other callings as Ammon was?  By asking, with fasting and prayer.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite stories. I think many times we miss knowing or understanding something because we simply fail to ask.

    ReplyDelete