Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Relying on the Lord

In my life I've maybe been too dependent on others for my happiness and satisfaction.  I don't know for sure that I'm too dependent, but I am sure that making your happiness conditional on the approval, love, or agency of another person will always lead to disappointment.  We are all fallen, and that state means we will do things that cause pain to ourselves and to others.

The atonement makes up for all this.  As I've been studying more about the Atonement recently, and through my own experiences making use of it's power, I've learned some things.

  1. The Atonement removes the consequences of sin.
  2. The Atonement eases and heals pain.
  3. The Atonement fills the void left by the harmful actions of others.
  4. The Atonement creates a desire and ability to forgive.
After relying on others who, because of the fall, hurt us, the Lord can heal that pain and fill the gap in support left by the abandonment of others.  No matter what anyone else does that may harm you, you can always rely on the Lord and His matchless power to overcome that pain.

And when you have that burden lifted, the ability to forgive others is so much easier, because you aren't carrying the cross.  Christ suffered all things, that we might not suffer, if we would repent.  When we receive the forgiveness for our own sins, release the pain we feel whether caused by ourselves, by others, or by bad luck, forgiveness becomes a given.

Seen in the proper way, there's nothing to forgive, because the Savior suffered for that person's sins, too, and takes those sins upon Himself.  And it's easy to forgive the Savior for that, after all you recognize he's done for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment