Thursday, May 24, 2012

David's tragedy

David, the future King of Israel is introduced in the scriptures like this: "The Lord chooses David of Bethlehem as king—He is anointed by Samuel—Saul chooses David as his companion and armor bearer." (1 Sam 16--Chapter Heading).  An auspicious beginning for what would be "the most brilliant [reign] of Israelitish history" (Bible Dictionary).

I'll not retell the whole stories, but David's experiences teach him and readers profound truths of the Gospel, the Atonement, God's love for His children, the blessings of righteousness, and, of course, the consequences of sin.

2 Samuel 12 is the chapter just after David has Uriah killed to hide his own sin with Uriah's wife.  That chapter is sorrowful to read.  Who, having committed any sin requiring forgiveness, can't connect with David's heart-wrenching pleas for forgiveness.

The Lord reminds David in verses 7 and 8, "I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul; And I gave thee thy master’s house, and thy master’s wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things."  (Emphasis added.)

Oi.  Reading this helps remind me not only of the blessings that I have but of all the blessings I have yet to receive.  I can look today and see that the Lord has blessed me well beyond what justice would require, yet I have in store all the blessings pertaining to the covenants of the gospel, if I only keep them.

What a loving Father in Heaven we have.  He has chosen us for this day.  He's blessed us with what we need to serve him well.  And if that's not enough, he'll bless us more.

Late in his life, David laments in prayer, "I have sinned greatly in that I have done: and now, I beseech thee, O Lord, take away the iniquity of thy servant; for I have done very foolishly" (2 Sam 24:10). And later, "Lo, I have sinned, and I have done wickedly: but these sheep, what have they done? let thine hand, I pray thee, be against me, and against my father’s house" (2 Sam 24:17).

David's entire life is full of more righteousness than wickedness, but his wickedness was of the gravest kind, for the most selfish reasons.  David's great tragedy is that he traded his love of God for the immediate gratification of lust, and then covered that up with murder, losing his exaltation.  That's a high price to pay, and makes David the most tragic figure of the Old Testament.

No comments:

Post a Comment