Monday, February 13, 2012

Faith and Judgment

I'm reading Increase in Learning by Elder David A. Bednar.  In Chapter 3 (there are only 4), Elder Bednar reaches this conclusion after rehearsing the scriptural story of the Lord's response to those he had called on missions and who had sought guidance about how to get where they were going: "They were to exercise faith, use good judgment, act in accordance with the direction of the Spirit, and determine the best way to travel to their assignments."

Further, he writes, "We should always pray for guidance and direction.  We should always seek for the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost.  But we should to be dismayed or discouraged if answers to our petitions for direction or help do not necessarily come quickly."  Sometimes, the Lord's guidance is to do "as seemeth you good, it mattereth not unto me" (D&C 62:5).

That can be a frustrating answer, because it seemeth like no answer at all. But the truth is that if we use good judgment, are in tune with the Spirit, and are willing to follow the Lord's bidding wherever we go, He will be able to make use of us wherever that is.

So, I ended up in South Jordan.  I'll have a new home teaching assignment and new neighbors.  And the Lord is free to use me as he will.  I will focus on what does matter, which is what I do while I'm here.

No comments:

Post a Comment