Wednesday, January 11, 2012

"Prepare them that they may shine"

I read the story of The Brother of Jared and the stones today, from Ether 3.  I'm building on my last post about exercising faith in the Lord's ability to bless our efforts, to "keep our feet."

As we pray for guidance, I imagine that the Lord's response is often like it was to Jared's brother: "What will ye that I should prepare for you?"  We ask for the Lord's help with something, and he puts it right back to us.  "What would you like me to do?"

I've been struggling with what to do for a place to live and have been asking for help and guidance.  Acting as if my answer is "What will ye that I should prepare for you?" my answer back is, "A place where I can meet neighbors and be an instrument to bring one of them to the gospel."

I hope there's someone in South Jordan in my new townhome complex.

*          *          *

I also recall a lesson from Sunday School some years ago.  The teacher, a former member of the bishopric of that ward, equated Jared's request of the Lord ("Touch these stones, O Lord, with thy finger, and prepare them that they may shine forth in darkness; and they shall shine forth unto us in the vessels which we have prepared, that we may have light while we shall cross the sea") with what a bishop prays for every time he extends a calling.

Bishops and other leaders are commanded and entrusted to watch over their ward, or stake, or other area--make them "tight like unto a dish," so to speak.  And bishops pray for divine help. And what's the Lord's response?  "What will ye that I should prepare for you?"

And bishops go to their "mount," the membership of their wards, and bring back to the Lord stones in the shape of people under the bishop's care.  Bishops then pray, ""Touch these stones, O Lord, with thy finger, and prepare them that they may shine forth."


And the Lord reaches out and touches those imperfect souls who faithfully accept callings, and helps them to magnify them and reach beyond their capacity to serve their neighbors in the Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment