Sunday, January 8, 2012

Keep Thou my feet

Today in Sunday School, in the lesson about the first several chapters of 1 Nephi, chapter 4 verse 6 struck me--possibly because the teacher focused on that verse for the theme of her lesson.  "And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do."

I've moved like that before.  Felt the prompting of the spirit very clearly, and even though it wasn't obvious how things would work out; I've exercised faith in following promptings that don't always coincide with my expectations.

I wondered today how much Nephi was "led by the Spirit" in the exact moments he was walking through Jerusalem hoping to get the Brass Plates from Laban.  Did the Spirit tell him to turn left and right, duck into this alley--someone's coming!?  My guess is no.  I think that Nephi felt prompted to go into the city alone, so he did, without any kind of plan or idea of what he'd do once there. He probably had the Spirit with him, but clearly not giving step-by-step directions.

I wonder if he felt frustrated like I sometimes do.  When I pray for guidance or help with specific decisions, the help doesn't always come--at least not in ways I want it to.  I want to be sure that my decisions are the right ones, that they'll work out for the best, and if I don't recognize a prompting about what decision I should make, I get frustrated and frozen--unable to act on my own.

I'm needing a new house.  Do I buy or rent?  I'm newly single, but how long will that last?  Should I invest in a home because it's such a good time to buy?  What if I do and then I find the girl I want to marry, and she works too far away?  Do I rent to keep it flexible in the meantime?  What about the tax break?  What if I miss this great opportunity to buy?  I pray, but don't feel like I know what the right answer is.  So, I freeze, needing to move in three weeks and having nowhere to go.

The teacher asked a class member to sing "Lead Kindly Light," which connects to this theme.  The first verse:
Lead, Kindly Light, amidst th'encircling gloom, Lead Thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home, Lead Thou me on!
Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene; one step enough for me.
I've always liked the last line about not asking to see the distant scene, but just one step ahead.  I know it's a weak area for me, freezing up when I can't see or worry about the future.

Before today I thought I had been greatly faithful at times when I've been prompted to act.  But today I realized that I lack faith in an important area--in the keeping of my feet.  I recognize that I don't need to see the "distant scene," but have trouble taking that one step that ought to be enough.

If I act in faith, the Lord will keep my feet, sheltering and blessing me along the way, even if I do not know beforehand the things I should do.

So today my decision is to act--to take the step--and my prayer is, "Keep Thou my feet."

No comments:

Post a Comment