Monday, December 12, 2011

Supposing that God would strengthen us

I have a new candidate for my favorite scripture.  Alma 56:8, which is Helaman's response to the people of Ammon who talk about taking up arms to defend their liberty and their allies in war against the Lamanites:
But I would not suffer them that they should break this covenant which they had made, supposing that God would strengthen us, insomuch that we should not suffer more because of the fulfilling the oath which they had taken.
I take great comfort in that, if I can suppose that God with strengthen me in my endeavors as I keep the covenants I have made.  I've sure seen evidence of that this year.  Later in the chapter, the sons of those Ammonites make the same point as they are faced with the prospect of war:  "Behold our God is with us, and he will not suffer that we should fall; then let us go forth; we would not slay our brethren if they would let us alone; therefore let us go" (v. 46).


Again, they have confidence in the support of their God because they are engaged doing the right thing.  Living righteously can give you tremendous and justified confidence in your endeavors.

1 comment: