Thursday, November 8, 2012

Faith and desire; knowledge and power

I read the story of Ammon and the King the other day, specifically Alma 18, which is the chapter after the arm-lopping and saving of the flock.  King Lamoni wonders if Ammon, so powerful was he, is the Great Spirit.

No, Ammon says, "I am a man; and man in the beginning was created after the image of God, and I am called by his Holy Spirit to teach these things unto this people, that they may be brought to a knowledge of that which is just and true; And a portion of that Spirit dwelleth in me, which giveth me knowledge, and also power according to my faith and desires which are in God (v 34-35)."

What a model.  How can one get the knowledge and power to succeed in life?  By having faith in and a desire to serve God.

I'm also quite confident that, though I can do all things in the strength of the Lord, I wouldn't be nearly so successful as Ammon in smiting arms and thieves with a sword and sling.  I picture Ammon much like he's drawn here:

I'm not nearly so burly.
I get the sense that Ammon was prepared from the time he was young to be able to handle such situations, which would make him a more effective missionary.  I'd like to think that he had thoughts and desires to strengthen his body, and that the Spirit was directing him subtly to do so throughout his life.

Since I haven't had the same kind of guidance and don't have the body to carry it out even if I had,  I started thinking about what attributes I did have that I could put in the Lord's service if I spent the time to strengthen those and prayed for an increased desire to serve.

I came up with something that I won't write here.  Instead I focus on the principle of the thing.  If I have a desire to serve, and faith that the Lord will assist me as I work at it, then I know that He will give me the knowledge and power to use the talents I have to serve Him better.

Thanks, Ammon, for the example.

No comments:

Post a Comment