Sunday, April 8, 2012

Praying for others to change

I read Elder David A. Bednar's article from this month's Ensign today.  It is largely about the ability of the Atonement to empower an individual with strength to endure trials.  "As you and I come to understand and employ the enabling power of the Atonement in our personal lives, we will pray and seek for strength to change our circumstances rather than praying for our circumstances to be changed. We will become agents who act rather than objects that are acted upon (see 2 Nephi 2:14)."

I realized when I read that that I have spent a fair amount of time asking the Lord to change other people to suite me, to make my situation easier.  I should have, all along, been praying for increased strength and love in such trials, or perhaps the courage to make difficult decisions on my own when such situations are harmful.  That's what I'll do from now on.

Sometime later, I'll have to think and write about the feeling that I'm being selfish when I focus my prayers primarily on me, which I'm suddenly worried about after writing this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment